so, this might sound odd…
someone recently made me aware of the incredibly toxic chemicals in dryer sheets and i thought i'd pass it on…
p.s-probably a good idea to not use synthetic dryer sheets, as they are incredibly toxic, especially if you have kids.
oh, my neighbor's dryer vents into my yard, and it stinks like synthetic chemicals. so i've compiled and forwarded to him this list of reasons to not use artificially scented dryer sheets.
i thought i'd pass it on to you, too,
here are the seven most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the central nervous system:
- Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
- Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
- Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
- Chloroform on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
- Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
- Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
- Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapours causes central nervous system depression. and fabreze, in particular, contains carcinogenic dichlorobenzene, as described below.